Tuesday, November 24, 2009

so the time we shared it was precious to me...

My hands smell like onions. This is something that I will never quite get used to as none of the normal tricks are helping the smell to dissipate. And to top it off, it has been 15 hours since I chopped up the onions!
 
Lately, no matter what I tried, I just could not get into the holiday spirit. Not that I was dreading the holidays, I just wasn't overly looking forward to them. Until grocery shopping with Mr. Incredible the other day. It could help that I had not quite had that burrito yet, but I was HUNGRY when shopping. This usually equates to lots of junk in our cart, but we did fairly well this trip! Primarily veggies and meat, with some Rocky Road ice cream thrown in (gotta love the marshmallows....). Pork looked fantastic so we got some under the begging and pleading of him FINALLY! making me some tamales. Then I spied the cabbage and NEEDED to make stuffed cabbage. And then I figured that if I am gonna make stuffed cabbage, then I damn well better finally get around to making some pierogies as well since I have wanted homemade ones for just about EVER!
 
Last night I decided that I better get busy on all of this cooking as these three particular dishes are rather time consuming. I intended to start on the pierogi filling while making the golabki. However, I failed to pay attention to the amount of potatoes, just washing, peeling, and dicing for what seemed like FOREVER! Needless to say, I currently have 10 POUNDS of potato mixture chilling in my fridge waiting to be stuffed into dough tonight! I can't wait!!! Also have to deal with cabbage.... and try to keep Bug away from it. let's just hope that Ross doesn't decide that he, too, likes cabbage. I have weird pets.
 
For reasons unbeknowst to me, all of this cooking has put me in the holiday spirit.... next thing you know I might actually tackle kruschiki.

No comments: