Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ain't no rhyme or reason

I would like to say that I have returned for good to the land of the bloggers, but I know myself too well to make that promise. A hectic few months, lack of sleep, and iffy wi-fi signal make for a slacker Ison.

To sum up things lately, I would like to start of by saying that I I don't think I have a life lately. To which I would also reply that I think I have had one free weekend in the past 3-or-so months. Last weekend, mom and I both took Friday off. Mom, Dad, and I then went cemetery-venturing. Last year when Dad and I were in Asheville, we learned that my grandparents had a daughter that passed away. No mention of her has been made to and of the three immediate members of my family, except from my aunt, who was the only one my grandma told about her. I guess this daughter was born sometime between 1940 and 1949and was actually buried. Otherwise not much is known about her other than that she was named after grandma's favorite teacher from St. Hedwig's, Sister Lawrence. If my recollection is accurate, it was in honor of this that my aunt and uncle named my cousin Laurene.

Unfortunately, dad asked Grandpa about it and he acted like he had no clue what we were talking about. Having grown up with my father, I know all to well how good my grandpa is at ignoring what he doesn't want to face. I have started investigating this child and figure that she would be buried at one of three main cemeteries most likely. We ventured out to one of them to check the records in the office. I found a lot of relatives that were buried there, as well as both of my great-grandfathers and one of my great-grandmothers, as well as my great-aunt. Unfortunately, no record of this mysterious daughter. I guess this just means that I will have to continue pursuing my genealogy work. It also makes me think that I want to keep better record of my life in case one of my descendants ever gets bitten with the genealogy bug.


Next week, I get to go and pick up my wedding dress from being bead checked and spot cleaned. The wedding is still like a year and a half away and the dress just makes it seem so real! So many things still have to be done and planned and chosen and paid for (!!!) but I am looking forward to it. I really want to make it a day special for those that we are close to. Mr. Incredible is still kinda having a hard time with our reception debates. We will eventually get everything worked out so that we are both happy.


Of course there has also been the familial drama, which still has me all in a tizzy depending on the day. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm an adult and that it doesn't "concern" me, but it's a change, and a big one at that. Oh well, I will survive!


On other news, dad's surgery is now less than 3 weeks away. Then three days later we trek to Cadillac for Mrs. Bieb's 100th birthday party and frankly I can't wait! I miss going to Cadillac as frequently as I remember doing as a child. Not to say how often we actually went, but I sure do seem to have lots of memories of it all. :)


Oh well, I guess that's enough for now....

No comments: